A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You'll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
Comprised of over 70 employees, BTMC pharmacy provides both clinical and distributive pharmacy services across all service lines of the hospital. This work is coordinated through a main pharmacy, a pediatric pharmacy and unit-based pharmacists. The department utilizes a variety of advanced pharmacy systems, including Pyxis, PharmacyKeeper IV Workflow Management, Cerner, Pyxis Pharmogistics inventory management system, and bedside barcode medication verification to support workflow efficiencies and bolster patient safety.
Qualified candidates will have two or more years of experience working in a hospital pharmacy setting as Staff/Clinical Pharmacist. Highly qualified candidates will have experience in a similarly sized facility of 500+ beds with a variety of service lines, in addition, will have leadership experience at a Director level capacity. As the Director of Pharmacy, you will oversee the management of daily operations, monitoring and managing quality improvement pharmacy projects, supervision and management of Pharmacy employees. This is a day shift position M-F. Shift start time is negotiable. The required call consists of being available for calls/issues on a rotating basis with the other pharmacy leaders (one week out of every 4).
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package. Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for leading, developing and coordinating pharmacy operations and services. This position develops services that provide and enhance quality patient care, while promoting fiscal responsibility in the utilization of resources. This position must also adhere to local, state, and federal laws regarding the profession of pharmacy practice. In the acute care setting, must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient's being served and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status, interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements and provide pharmaceutical care based on those needs. In a compounding setting this position will act as an advocate for centralized services and work to further Banner's ability to serve facilities through centralized operations.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides leadership and oversight of all pharmacy operations, programs and services within the department. Develops programs, goals and objectives consistent with those of the organizations overall strategic plan and initiatives.
2. Develops operational and capital budgets, manages operating expenses and key indicators within the budget. Develops, implements, coordinates, monitors, evaluates and integrates pharmacy services that contribute to the overall success and financial viability of pharmacy services. Uses creativity in the delivery of services and products in a highly competitive market.
3. Evaluates performance relative to need for improvement of processes to assure the safe and appropriate delivery of medications. Plans, supports and leads quality improvement efforts for relevant pharmacy services. Defines and resolves issues related to medication distribution systems and processes.
4. Manages staff resources by overseeing the recruiting, selecting, hiring and orienting qualified individuals. Evaluates staff performance in an accurate, consistent, objective and timely manner. Develops core position hiring strategies and ensures opportunities for professional development. Creates a cohesive pharmacy team committed to providing distributive, clinical and service quality to all customers.
5. Develops and monitors applicable policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with state and federal regulatory agency standards. Accurately and completely documents patient assessment data and clinical interventions. In a compounding setting, provides consultative guidance to other leaders across the system on compounding standards and practices.
6. May participate on hospital and medical staff committees and serve as a professional resource for physicians, clinicians and leadership. May also collaborate with physicians and clinicians regarding pharmacy programs and services. In a compounding setting, works across multiple business lines and levels within the organization to understand compounding needs and develop services to meet those needs while remaining in compliance with state and federal regulations.
7. This position is accountable for an effective departmental operation within budgetary constraints through the monitoring, projecting and controlling expenses, and through the promotion of rational, cost-effective utilization of medication therapy. Internal customers include all levels of members of the health care team. External customers may include local, state, and national pharmacy organizations, regulatory agencies, colleagues and peers, educational institutions and pharmaceutical representatives.
A degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy is required.
Requires current pharmacy licensure in the applicable state of practice within 90 days of hire date. Licensure upon hire may be required based on business needs.
Must possess strong knowledge of pharmacy operations and services as typically demonstrated through five years of progressively more responsible experience in a pharmacy setting and a minimum of at least two years of leadership experience. Must possess strong financial skills, good organizational, problem solving and computer skills. Must possess good written and verbal communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and other contacts. Must be able to use reference tools to evaluate patient care and answer questions posed by customers. Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and Automated dispensing system.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Advanced degree, pharmacy residency or Master of Business Administration (MBA) is preferred. Experience in a hospital pharmacy is preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R24217
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.