The EMS Dispatch Communications Specialist is highly skilled professional functioning within the Communications Center in one of three primary roles. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to plan, prioritize, organize, direct, and control all transports between AdventHealth facilities as well as outlying facilities. The EMS Dispatch Communications Specialist should possess independent decision-making responsibilities, that must be applied based on telephone, radio, or electronic communication only. Utilizes complex acuity algorithms for time-sensitive medical transportation arrangements. Collaborates with physicians, department staff, road crews, outsourcing vendors, and EMS Operations supervisor. Highly effective in clinical fact gathering and analysis, to identify appropriate level of specialty care needed for transport. Coordinates as an air traffic control for all inbound and outbound transports across the AH system. Acts as a liaison between sending and receiving facilities on issues pertaining to the transport of patients. Proactively initiates steps, including utilization of chain of command, to ensure safe and timely transportation for all patients. Adheres to the AdventHeatlth Corporate Compliance Plan and to the rules and regulations of all applicable local, state, and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates in outstanding customer service, phone etiquette and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Proficient verbal and written communication skills
· Proficient in computer database skills
· Proficient in real time documentation in electronic format
· Knowledge of AH policies, procedures, and protocols.
· Advanced computer skills
· Utilizes all electronic foundational resources and tools to efficiently maintain throughput process across AdventhHealth and sending/receiving facilities.
· Critical -thinking and problem-solving ability.
· Ability to function in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
· Ability to engage in self-evaluation about performance and professional growth.
· Ability to accept constructive feedback regarding work performance.
· Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted during work.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· Understanding of Health Insurance Authorization process
· Medical terminology and/or coding skills.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS PREFERRED:
· Understanding of Health Insurance Authorization process · Medical terminology and/or coding skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: · High School Diploma or GED
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE PREFERRED: · College experience or coursework in a healthcare related field · Graduate of an EMT or Paramedic Program · 1-year minimum relevant communications center experience
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED: Motor Vehicle Operator’s License or ability to provide own transportation
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION PREFERRED: · NHTSA National Standard Curriculum for EMD (Emergency Medical Dispatch) · NAACS (National Association Air Medical Communication Specialist) · EMT or Paramedic Certification
At AdventHealth, Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ is our mission. It calls us to be His hands and feet in helping people feel whole. Our story is one of hope — one that strives to heal and restore the body, mind and spirit. Our more than 80,000 skilled and compassionate caregivers in hospitals, physician practices, outpatient clinics, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies and hospice centers are committed to providing individualized, wholistic care.