Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Academic / Research
The Research Program Director of Environmental Health and Safety is responsible for the oversight and implementation of safety policies and procedures in compliance with federal, state, and local statutory requirements related to chemical safety, biosafety, environmental safety, and overall lab safety at Nemours. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring a sustainable safety culture within the research department by developing safety training programs, including annual mandatory training assessments and new employee orientations. The position will oversee chemical inventory processes and procedures, biohazardous tracking, disposal activities and records. Incumbent will serve as the Chemical Hygiene Officer, and provide professional guidance, technical support, development and implementation of safety and health procedures. This includes development and implementation of the Chemical Hygiene Plan for laboratory use of hazardous chemicals as required under OSHA regulations.
The director provides guidance in the improvement and application of laboratory/protocol-specific procedures and protocols, conducts hazard assessments, lab safety inspections. The director will respond to emergencies and incidents and provide emergency preparedness and response systems protocols. The director serves as a subject matter expert to all Nemours research sites and Nemours's Children's Health stakeholders.
- Works with Research Administration and Regulatory Affairs on updating and developing new policies in the Nemours Research Biosafety Manual and Nemours Research Safety Manual.
- Servers as the direct line supervisor to the Nemours Biomedical Research Biosafety Officer and Research Laboratory Safety and Facilities Coordinator.
- Leads safety surveys and inspections, prepares, and maintains written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective or preventive measures where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Conducts post-accident investigation and prepares report identifying possible accident causes and hazards.
- Monitors and facilitates chemical inventories with each lab, and schedules and ensures proper disposal with chemical disposal vendor.
- Ensures that the Nemours safety manual is up to date and all Biosafety protocols are maintained, and that disposal methods are upheld.
- Assist managers and supervisors in investigating and documenting all property damage, personal injuries, safety violations, and unsafe conditions and activities.
- Ensures that all sub-contractors' employees comply with job site safety rules and regulations.
- Serves on various safety committees (i.e.) the Hospital Environment of Care Committee as the Research member, The Hazardous Materials and Waste Committee, the Institutional Biosafety Committee, Research Compliance Committee, and co-chairs the Nemours Biomedical Research Safety Committee.
- Direct contact for specific site security (DV research). Conducts required associate safety drills in connection with Nemours Security and Experimental Station Security and Nemours Command Center/Security.
- Advanced degree required
- Training in Lab Safety and Environmental Safety Procedures and Regulations
- Certifications such as Lab Safety, Environment of Care Safety, OSHA, or Radiation Safety preferred.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience required